NADI AND YOG
word Chakra is a Sanskrut word, meaning "wheel" or "disc".
In the ancient Yog systems of India, the word Chakra described
a spinning vortex of energy in the subtle body. Although, generally
it is believed that there are seven Chakras, according to Kundalini
meditation and Aghori theory, there are nine Chakras.
nine Chakras are arranged vertically along the spine and abundant
energy pathways or channels are present, called Nadis (from the
term nad which means a hollow stalk) that intersect at these Chakras.
are a total of 72000 Nadis or subtle channels of energy coming
out from the spinal cord. The main Nadis among them are the Surya
Nadi, Chandra Nadi, Ida, Pingala and the Susushmna. The Ida Nadi
runs adjoining to the left side of the spinal cord and the Pingala
Nadi runs close to the right side of it. The third major Nadi
is the Sushumna flows inside the central canal of the spinal cord.
The Chakras are sometimes referred to as lotuses, since they open
and close like a flower, and in the yogic system they are represented
with varied number of petals, ranging from four at the base Chakra
to 1000 at the crown. They can be stimulating and awakened by
yogic practices like asanas (Yog postures), breathing, and meditation.
When motivated, they create latent forces, which awaken the power
to triumph over disease, decay and finally, according to the ancient
yogis, death as well.
seven upper chakras, from lowest to highest :
• Base Chakra / Mooladhara chakra (base of spine) : memory,
time and space.
• Sacral Chakra / Svadhishthana chakra (below navel) : reason.
• Solar plexus / Manipura chakra (solar plexus) : willpower.
• Heart Chakra / anahat chakra (heart center) : direct cognition.
• Throat Chakra / Vishuddh chakra (throat) : divine love.
• Minds eye / ajna chakra (third eye) : divine sight.
• Crown chakra / Sahastrar chakra (crown of head) : illumination,
seven lower chakras, from highest to lowest :
• Atal chakra (hips) : fear and lust.
• Vital chakra (thighs) : raging anger.
• Sutal chakra (knees) : retaliatory jealousy.
• Talatal chakra (calves) : prolonged mental confusion.
• Rasatal chakra (ankles) : selfishness.
• Mahatal chakra (feet) : absence of conscience.